Starry Night College Textbook expands on OpenStax Astronomy digital textbook and seamlessly integrates a fully interactive planetarium, engaging simulations, assignable exercises, and a whole universe for your class to explore.
Students are free to explore and experiment, manipulating the fabric of the universe as never before. Our web-based Learning Platform is accessible on most devices to allow learning to happen from anywhere at anytime.
Starry Night College Textbook integrates with all major Learning Management Systems (LMS), making it easy for instructors to implement and for students to access. The built-in interactive exercises and assessments synch with your LMS grade-book so you can monitor each student’s learning and progress.
Stunning visualizations and engaging exercises place your students anywhere in known space, dynamically showing the solar system, stars, galaxies, and much more - from the distant past to far into the future.
Since 2004, Starry Night has been a key component of most traditional astronomy 101 textbooks. Now, at long last, the awesome power of the world’s leading astronomy education software comes to OpenStax's digital textbook!
What Makes Starry Night College Textbook Great
Starry Night College Textbook helps you teach a more satisfying course by making it easy for your students to visually grasp important concepts of astronomy that a traditional textbook alone cannot teach.
- Online Planetarium. The integrated Starry Night browser-based planetarium gives you a powerful, accurate, customizable tool to inspire and engage your students. Starry Night models the universe, placing you anywhere at any time.
Assignments. More than 75 assignable astronomy exercises, providing endless interactions. The exercises are seamlessly integrated and correlated to the OpenStax Astronomy textbook.
- Astronomy 101 Textbook. Access the OpenStax Astronomy textbook directly on our Interactive Learning Platform. This provides a tight integration between the textbook, the Starry Night browser-based planetarium, and the assignable exercises. It’s the interactive textbook you always dreamed of having.
- Embedded Simulations. We enhanced the OpenStax Astronomy textbook with hundreds of inline simulations that bring the concepts on the page to life. Why only read about it, when you can simulate it.
- Chapter Quizzes. Over 1000 multiple choice questions that encourage students to apply their understanding of the material. The questions for each chapter are organized by section.
- Anytime, Anywhere, On Any Device. Runs on your web browser and is accessible on most devices including desktop computers, Chromebooks, and tablets.
Up to Date. New discoveries, the latest science, and topical space & astronomy events are made available promptly. Your students can view and interact with the newest comets, space probes, planetary images, and more. You no longer have to work with out-of-date print textbooks, waiting years for a new edition to be updated.
- Free for Instructors. Access is free for professors and instructors with commitment that Starry Night College Textbook TM is a required course material for students.
- Affordable for Students. Our Interactive Learning Platform provides a complete and rich Astronomy 101 textbook combined with dozens of interactive and engaging exercises and simulations. A one-year license is only $29.95 for students.
- We’re Here for You. Our dedicated Support Team is there to help with anything you might need to make your course successful. From free training on how to use the Starry Night College Textbook and walking your LMS Administrator through integration - to help resolve any pesky technical issues that cross your way.
- Learning Management System (LMS) Integration. Our Interactive Learning Platform integrates with your preferred LMS such as Canvas, BlackBoard, Moodle, G Suite (Google Classroom), Microsoft, BrightSpace (D2L), and more.
- Single Sign-On. We automatically recognize the roster information already present in your school LMS. Students and Instructors log in with their existing LMS credentials.
- Assign Content to the LMS. Instructors can assign exercises from the Starry Night College Textbook directly to their LMS courses.
- Sync Grades With the LMS. Results from assessments, quizzes and homework assignments are automatically imported from the Starry Night College Textbook back into your LMS for use by instructors in grading student performance.
- Science & Universe, Birth of Astronomy, Orbits & Gravity
- Earth-Moon-Sky, Radiation & Spectra, Instruments, Other Worlds
- Earth as a Planet, Cratered Worlds, Earth-like Planets, Giants
- Rings-Moons-Pluto, Comets-Asteroids-Solar System
- Origin of the Solar System, The Sun, Analyzing Starlight, the Stars
- Celestial Distances, Between the Stars - Gas and Dust
- Birth of Stars, Age of Stars, Death of Stars, Black Holes
- Milky Way Galaxies, Active Galaxies and Quasars
- Evolution of Galaxies, Big Bang, Life in the Universe, and More!
Includes Professor's Edition free with curriculum adoption for students in class that will purchase as required course material. Starry Night College Digital Textbook operates for one year.
We Work with Bookstores for Bulk Code Resale (B&N, Follett, Others)
We Accept School Purchase Orders
For questions and quotes regarding more years or classrooms/professors/sites, please contact us below: